*Annoucements*
Get your entries in for "Look Whooooo's Snapping"

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Ava's letters get a Make-Over

Lately, little by little, we've been getting everything ready and organized for our baby-on-the-way to move in with us, specifically, move in with Ava. In doing so, I decided to get in touch with my crafty side and decorate letters that spell her name to hang on the wall above her crib. I had planned on purchasing the letters from Michaels, but each time I went to pick them up, they were always out of the same letter. Therefore, I decided to purchase her letters on ebay. Being that I'm still waiting on her letters to arrive, I decided that in the meantime, I would add a little zest to Ava's letters... actually a lot of zest... so that she wouldn't feel left out. Her letters were in desperate need of a little attention considering the fact that all I did to them originally was paint them pink. So this blog shows step by step how I gave Ava's letters a make-over.


First, I painted the letters the desired color.
(I had already painted these letters a pale pink when Miss Ava joined our little family over a year and a half ago.)


Next, I traced the letters onto the desired card stock and cut out. (Note: it's best to cut a little inside the line so that the card stock doesn't hang over the edge of the wood.)


Then I traced part of the letter onto a second card stock and cut it out.


I then used Mod Podge to cover the back of the paper letter with a thin layer of adhesive. Then, I applied the paper to the wooden letter and smoothed it out. (Note: you can alternatively use a craft glue if you don't have Mod Podge.)


Next, I applied Mod Podge to cover the back of the second, coordinating paper with a thin layer of adhesive, applied it to the wood, and smoothed it out. I then applied Mod Podge to the face of the letter. It's important to note that you should let it dry completely before applying your embellishments.
(Note: Mod Podge dries clear.)


While the Mod Podge was drying on the wooden letters, I decided to make some pretty flowers out of card stock. (I drew these free hand, but you should be able to find a flower template online if necessary.) Because I choose a solid color for the larger flowers, I decided to spice them up a little bit with glue and glitter. After applying Elmer's paper craft glue gel to the face of the flower, I used a sponge to spread the glue evenly. Then I sprinkled glitter on the glue and let dry. Once dry, I curled the pedals of the flower toward the center for a more realistic look.


Using a hot glue gun, I then glued the flowers together.


Lastly, I glued ribbon and the handmade flowers to the letters with a hot glue gun for the completed product. I'd say that's quite a make-over, wouldn't you?!! These letters will look so beautiful hanging above Ava's crib.

I'm excited for the other letters to get here so that I can continue crafting. And stay tuned, because soon you'll find out what we plan on naming our precious second daughter when I finish decorating her letters for the babies room :)

2 comments:

Your comments make me smile :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...